Performing surgery on a patient takes extreme focus, which is why surgeons work as part of a larger healthcare team. Each team member has their own unique role, from the surgeon to the anesthesiologist, certified registered nurse anesthetist, operating room nurse, physician assistant, and others. The job of the Surgical Technologist—also known as the Operating Room Tech or “scrub tech”—is to arrive early, review requirements for the day’s procedures, gather the needed tools and equipment, then carefully prep patients, equipment, and the room itself.
During the surgery, they may hand sterile instruments or supplies to the surgeon or their assistant. They may also perform basic steps such as suctioning blood from an incision. As the procedure is being completed, Surgical Technologists take stock of all items to ensure everything is accounted for. They may then help apply bandages, take patients to their recovery area, and return to stock the operating room for the next surgery.
- Ensuring proper medical instruments and equipment are ready
- Keeping patients safe by maintaining a sterile environment
- 환자를 돕고 생명을 구하는 의료 팀의 일원으로 일합니다.
Surgical Technologists work full-time, with shifts that may start very early. If working in an ER, they may be assigned to night, weekend, or holiday shifts.
- Ensure instruments are kept sterile during medical operations
- Take inventory of all supplies and instruments used before and after surgery, to ensure nothing was left inside a patient
- Perform scrub cleaning on other team members’ hands and arms
- Assist others with putting on masks, gloves, and gowns so they don’t have to touch anything
- Prep patients for their operations. Assist with getting them onto the table and covering them up. Wash and disinfect incision sites
- As needed, give sterile instruments or supplies to surgeons or their assistants
- Ensure needed solutions and fluid supplies such as saline, blood, or plasma are on hand
- Assist with holding various instruments steady while the surgeon is operating
- Manage tissue specimens needed for lab analysis
- Clean and sterilize operating room equipment
- Anticipate needs during surgical procedures
- Aid with applying bandages to patients after surgery
- Keep all relevant medical supplies in stock. Reorder, as needed
- Review the daily schedule of surgeries and ensure all necessary instruments, supplies, and equipment will be on hand
- Organize and transfer appropriate instruments, supplies, and equipment to the operating room and arrange items according to the scheduled procedure
- Keep an eye on equipment to ensure proper functioning. Adjust, as needed
- Take note of the patient vital signs
- Train new technologists
- Stay up-to-date on relevant industry changes
- Maintain physical and electronic records
- 규정 준수 지향
- 디테일 지향
- 안전 의식
- 건전한 판단
- 강력한 의사 소통 기술
- Biological waste handling
- 데이터베이스 쿼리 소프트웨어
- Electronic medical records and patient tracking
- Familiarity with IV fluids such as saline, blood, plasma, and glucose
- Medical bandaging
- Medical instrument terminology and usage
- Medical sanitation and disinfection
- Operating surgery-related medical equipment
- Patient vital signs
- Personal protective equipment usage
- Scrub procedures
- Supply ordering procedures and programs
- Surgery workflow communication programs
- Hospitals and surgical centers (including emergency rooms, intensive care units, and labor/delivery units)
- 외래 환자 치료 센터
- Private practices (including dental, vision, and plastic surgery)
Whether it’s open surgery or minimally invasive, surgical operations are inherently risky due to a myriad of factors. Among these is the risk of patient infection from hazardous germs. Patients are already in a compromised state when they’re laying on a table under anesthesia, so surgical teams must do everything possible to mitigate the risk by being organized and following stringent protocols.
Surgical Technologists play a crucial role in this endeavor and must know and follow very methodical procedures to ensure patient safety. Surgical Technologists are at risk themselves, frequently exposed to chemicals, all manner of germs, and potentially hazardous biological materials such as blood or bodily fluids.
Around the world, hospitals have been grappling with the problem of keeping areas free from germs and infectious diseases. Many have needed to strengthen their cleaning practices to avoid having patients exposed to healthcare-acquired infections, which can be fatal in some cases. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has stressed that healthcare institutions closely follow hygiene precautions to protect both patients and healthcare workers. A few trends on this front include the use of continuously active disinfection chemicals and materials. Complimenting these measures, hospitals are turning to innovative disinfectant delivery methods such as misting systems and ultraviolet technology.
Surgical Technologists were most likely very tidy people who liked to keep things organized. They were probably patient and calm, able to focus on tasks with great attention to detail. They may have enjoyed being part of group activities in school because they work well on teams and are comfortable with juggling responsibilities.
- Surgical Technologists need to complete a certificate or associate’s degree program at a vocational school, community college, university, or hospital
- Programs must be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
- Training may last from one year for a certificate to two years for an associate’s degree (if going full-time)
- Note, some programs may feature an expedited curriculum, but make sure they are accredited and meet state licensing or regulatory requirements
- 많은 수업이 온라인으로 진행될 수 있지만 일부 주제의 경우 실습 경험이 선호될 수 있습니다.
- 일반적인 클래스는 다음과 같습니다.
- 청소 및 소독
- 오염 제거 및 살균
- 감염 관리 및 예방
- 재고 관리
- 의학 및 외과 용어
- Patient care
- Medical equipment setup
- 수술 기구 사용 및 보관
- Some jobs require techs to have CPR/Basic Life Support training
- Surgical Techs can either work in general surgery or specialize in an area such as cardiology, neurosurgery, organ transplants, orthopedics, pediatrics, or plastic surgery
- Optional certifications can boost one’s odds of getting hired. Certifying organizations include:
- National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting - Certified Surgical Technologist
- National Center for Competency Testing - Tech in Surgery
- Many Surgical Techs learn their trade as enlisted members in a branch of the military
- Surgical Technologists don’t need a four-year degree from a university to get started. Students can complete a certificate or associate’s at a local community college or vocational training school
- 일반적인 고려 사항에는 수업료(주내/타주 요금), 할인, 장학금 및 코스 제공 옵션(캠퍼스 내, 온라인 또는 하이브리드 프로그램)이 포함됩니다.
- Ideally, you’ll want a program that offers hands-on work experience
- 고등학생은 건강, 생물학, 화학 및 컴퓨터 과학 수업을 듣고 준비 할 수 있습니다.
- 커뮤니티 칼리지, 직업 학교 또는 대학교의 인증 프로그램 또는 준 학사 학위 프로그램에 지원할지 결정
- 배우면서 실제 직업 기술을 습득할 수 있는 취업 기회에 대해 프로그램 직원과 이야기하십시오.
- Apply for part-time jobs working with healthcare settings to gain experience and have some work history on your resume
- 장시간 서서 발로 운동하거나 장비를 움직일 때 필요한 체력을 키울 수 있는 운동 프로그램을 시작하십시오.
- 향후 직업 참조 역할을 할 수 있는 연락처 목록(전화번호 또는 이메일 포함) 유지
- Check out articles and video tutorials about surgical procedures and think about areas you might want to specialize in
- Get started on a draft resume early and keep track of the skills you learn
- Have your education, training, and relevant certification completed
- 학교의 교수진이나 직업 센터에 고용주와의 연결에 대한 팁을 요청하십시오.
- 전문 네트워크에 귀하가 구직 중임을 알리십시오.
- Review job portals such as Indeed, Glassdoor, HospitalCareers, and HealthJobsNationwide
- Look at the career pages of local hospitals and surgeon’s offices
- 견습 기회 검색
- Consider speaking with a military recruiter about Surgical Technology jobs
- 채용 담당자가 엿볼 수 있도록 소셜 미디어를 깨끗하고 전문적으로 유지하십시오.
- Review Surgical Technologist resume templates
- Read Surgical Technologist interview questions, learn your career-related terminology, and practice your answers
- 연락처 정보를 제공하기 전에 잠재적 인 추천인의 허가를 받아야합니다.
- 친구 나 친척과 모의 인터뷰를하는 연습을하십시오.
- 인터뷰를 위해 전문적으로 복장
- 상사와 이야기하고 경력 목표를 알려주십시오. 위로 올라가는 방법에 대한 조언을 구하십시오.
- 채우기 어려운 전문 분야에서 인증 취득
- Note, the Bureau of Labor Statistics notes that techs will be increasingly needed to help with older patients in the years to come
- Advancement opportunities for Surgical Technologists include working as a surgical assistant or nurse, which will require additional training. Becoming a registered nurse will mean returning to college to earn a BS in Nursing to qualify for licensure in most states
- 의무를 마스터하고, 정시에 도착하고, 편지에 대한 모든 위생 프로토콜을 따르십시오.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant hospital or clinic policies and procedures
- Study manufacturer and software guides for medical equipment you operate
- Ask lots of questions and keep learning from other members of the surgical team
- Demonstrate leadership and train new staff diligently
- Get engaged with professional organizations. Attend events, volunteer to give speeches, hold positions on committees, and get articles published to advance your reputation
- American Board for Transplant Certification
- American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion
- American Board of Surgical Assistants
- Association of Surgical Technologists
- 심혈관 자격증 국제
- 질병 통제 예방 센터
- 멸균 처리 및 유통을 위한 인증 위원회
- 연합군 건강 교육 프로그램 인증위원회
- 의료 멸균 처리 협회
- Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology
- Medical-Surgical Nursing Certification Board
- 정형외과 기술자 인증 국가 위원회
- National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting
- 국립 역량 테스트 센터
- National Commission for the Certification of Surgical Assistants
- Pocket Guide to the Operating Room, by Maxine A. Goldman BS RN
- Surgical Technology, by Joanna Kotcher Fuller
- Surgical Technology for the Surgical Technologist: A Positive Care Approach, by Association of Surgical Technologists
Working as a Surgical Technologist can be exciting but exhausting work! If you’re curious about additional healthcare careers, below are a few popular examples to consider:
- 심혈관 기술자 및 기술자
- 임상 실험실 기술자 및 기술자
- 치과 보조원
- 진단 의료 초음파 검사자
- 내시경 기술자
- 면허가 있는 실무 및 면허가 있는 직업 간호사
- 의료 보조원
- 의료 장비 준비자
- 의사 및 외과 의사
- 간호사 등록
- 외과 보조
- 외과 기술자